"The Trek ramblings of a geeky Drag Queen"

Pages

Monday 3 March 2014

Birthday Wishes to Jimmy Doohan

As I follow the various Star Trek web pages and social media groups, I always make note of their posts regarding the birthdays and anniversaries of the Star Trek stars. If a particular actor uses Twitter, I more often than not send them a birthday Tweet - admittedly without getting a reply. I know it can be a little frustrating if you are a regular Tweeter of the Star Trek cast and have never gotten a reply but as you can imagine, their news feeds must be packed day in and day out, and I would take solace in the fact that they DO read them and I dare say get a fair amount of joy out of our fandom, even if they can't answer them all individually.

I've been fortunate enough to get a few Tweets from some of the actors and I'm going to post screen caps of them on here eventually. Call it pride, call it privileged or call it showing off, haha, either way, receiving a Tweet back, especially when it's something that you want to hear, is better than any drug to a true Trekkie.

Unfortunately, it's not just birthdays that our community is reminded of on social media sites, but it is also passings. Today sees the birthday of Mr James Doohan (Scotty), and if you haven't yet seen the documentary 'Trekkies' then I urge you to do so immediately. I was never lucky enough to see Doohan in person at a convention, but watching his interview on 'Trekkies' where he wells up telling a tale about a suicidal woman whom he helped become an engineer all because of her Star Trek fandom is inspiring to say the least.


Birthday wishes to Jimmy Doohan. R.I.P Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment